Saturday, March 9, 2013

FDRL212 Unit 2 Choice #6: Counsel for Members

For my second Student Choice Assignment, I decided to choose option #6 which gave me a list of verses to read in 1st and 2nd Thessalonians and go over what Paul counsels the members to do. I previously had read what Paul counseled missionaries to do for my first Student Choice Assignment this week and, since I'm not a full-time missionary, I decided to take this opportunity to look at where I stand in relation to what Paul says members of the church should be doing. I made a list of the attributes Paul mentions that member should be improving upon and here is my list:

  • Increase love for all men--both in and outside of the church
  • Do what you know to be right
  • Abstain from fornication
  • Life a life of sanctity and honor
  • Do not defraud your brother
  • Study to be quiet
  • Do your own business
  • Work with your own hands
  • Be honest
  • Be holy
  • Be a child of the light: watch and be sober
  • Comfort & edify each other
  • Be at peace together
  • Follow that which is good
  • Pray unceasingly and with gratitude
  • Do not despise prophesies or prophets
  • Put on the breastplate of faith & love, and the helmet of salvation
  • Warn those saints who are unruly, comfort the feeble-minded, support the weak
  • Be patient with all men
  • Rejoice! Be happy! :) 
  • Abstain from the appearance of evil
 One of the principles that most stuck out to me was "study to be quiet". The other attributes I was expecting to be on a list of things that members of the church should be doing, but that one really caught me off-guard. We're often told to lead lives that will invite the Spirit to influence and guide us, but I've never really heard anyone be told to study to be quiet. It's an interesting concept and I'm sure that I don't understand all of the full meanings of it now. But it's one that has definitely stuck out to me. As I've worked on homework today, I've tried to create an environment where the Spirit could speak to my heart and help teach me. I think that's the beginning of studying to be quiet. But there's so much more to it... It's a fascinating concept and one that I really would like to study more about.

The other principle that really stuck out to me was Paul's emphasis on rejoicing. A whole verse was dedicated to it. As members of the church, we really have so much to be happy about. But are we really happy? I know that in my case, I don't think I am. There are always little things that I let effect my mood: I don't have a date this week, my roommates haven't done their dishes yet, my sister posted a picture on Facebook showing her using the purse I left at home and I just hate it when she steals my stuff----the list can go on and on. I feel like this concept of rejoicing goes hand in hand with Paul's urge to be patient with everyone. We know the truth. There is no reason why we should not be happy. But likewise, we're all still human. So we need to be patient with those around us. When I journal every night, I want to start journaling the GOOD things that happen in my day and the blessings that I receive rather than the things that are troubling me. Likewise, I want to be better about increasing my patience by serving those who I find myself becoming impatient with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment