Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Call Me Sydney Bristow: I've Been Recruited! (a Christmas Eve tale)

Disclaimer: I solemnly swear that the following events are being truthfully and accurately reported as they happened at the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black on the 24th of December in the year 2013. Also, if you do not understand the reference made in the title of this post please find a Netflix account and watch the television series 'Alias' ASAP. It is critical for your joy that you do so.

'Twas a typical Christmas Eve scene.

It was mid-afternoon. I was reclined on the couch, blanket on my lap, puppy dog lying on my feet, and laptop propped open on my lap. The Christmas tree was sparkling. I had finished up my wrapping earlier in the day and all of my presents were gleefully hidden underneath our tree. Mom was in the kitchen making her annual cinnamon sugar pecans so the house smelled lovely. All was well.

Feeling like I should get up and grab an ice pack for my neck since whiplash is a doozy (or, more realistically, holler at mom to bring one to where I was lounging), I stretched and prepared to tell the sleeping dog to get up off of me.

Then suddenly: my cell phone rang.

An unknown number was calling my phone.

Instinct told me to just ignore it. Probably just my sister trying to prank call me. Again. Oooh wait. No. No it's no a sister. I'm home and I can monitor their movements. Neither one of them are on the phone right now.

I was intrigued (and bored) so I answered the phone.

"An important message for Miss Black" a deep mysterious voice was on the other end of the phone 

Cue the Mission Impossible theme music.

No, seriously. The music started playing through the phone. I've included a link for your own listening pleasure so you can get a sense of what I was experiencing ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3snywZWT6WE

"Due to your driving skill and your high intelligence, you have been selected for special agent training with I.M. Force--the I.M.F.  Your cover story is that you are preparing to work as an intern at Disney World. Your objective today involves three critical missions that you must complete successfully. 

Your first mission will test your knowledge of spycraft and your ability to think on your feet. The second mission will test your social interactions and the ease with which you can move about our society. This will require you and your team to be polished, refined, and presentable. The third mission involves your ability to recruit others to this agency and how well you can lead a team in solving the puzzle."

That was it. There was a beep and the message was over. I half-expected to hear a voice warn me that my phone was going to self-destruct at the conclusion of this message (c'mon, I've seen The Incredibles).

My dad recommended that the next time I get a call from an unknown number, I let it go to voicemail so the message can be saved and heard by a large group as many times as needed. Thankfully, this IMF recruiter called me again and left a voicemail with the same message. I was feeling highly unique and privileged to be recruited for such a top-secret mission....

...and then my two younger sisters got calls from the unknown number :(

I got over my disappointment of not being The Chosen One, and realized this was probably IMF recruiting the team that they spoke of. A team of sisters? Uhhh AWESOME.

"Kelsey! Don't answer the phone! Let it go to voicemail!" I screeched.

She answered the phone. *Facepalm*. She literally had just one job and she couldn't even do that. Sigh. It was going to be interesting with her on my team if she couldn't even let a phone call go to voicemail (teehee love you Kelsey). Britney's phone call was soon to follow and hers went to voicemail.

We each received the same message, but with no further instruction. We anticipate further instructions will arrive tomorrow (Christmas day).

Update: An envelope was taped to the front door from the IMF with a formal written transcript of the messages that we were each left. It will be interesting to see what the future holds. 

TO BE CONTINUED....




 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me. It was the same message. I knew you wanted me to let it go to voice mail. I was ignoring you.

    ReplyDelete